Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Personal Assistant

Jim Turnour represented the federal division of Leichhardt in the Australian Parliament between 2007 and 2010.

My position as Personal Assistant to Jim Turnour encompassed a wide range of tasks including contacting Departmental staff in order to respond to email and letter inquiries made by constituents. I placed and answered phone calls with and to members of the public, Ministerial staff, Departmental staff, international delegates, lobby groups and senior community representatives. I arranged meetings for the MP and sat in on his behalf when required, I researched bills and provided talking points to assist his speeches to Parliament. I was responsible for managing and maintaining the Member’s diary, including booking and coordinating all travel for him and his family to Canberra for Parliament. During sitting weeks, as the only staff member in Canberra with the MP, I single handedly managed the Member’s office at Parliament House: arranging meetings, engaging with Ministers, staff, lobby groups and other community representatives - both in person and on the telephone. I managed the MP's diary and all correspondence that came into the Parliament office. I prioritised and escalated urgent matters for his attention and responded on his behalf where possible. During non-sitting weeks I was located in the Cairns electorate office, again providing all secretarial and administrative duties as required by the Member.

No comments:

Post a Comment